Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Taming my Tongue

Some think it is endearing, refreshing, and sassy- others see it as something that needs to be tamed, toned, and even silenced.

All in all, I have a notorious mouth. In some relationships I am defined by my lack of filter when it comes to my mouth and the things that I say. I am not afraid to say what is on my mind or ruffle feathers with my opinion. Some appreciate this honesty while some do not. My ability to 'say it like it is' is even sometimes referred to as a Courtney-ism. And I am writing tonight, saying that I hate it.

If we are being honest, I wish I could be silent, or at least very shy- too afraid to speak. Not mute, but have some sort of tact. It is difficult knowing what to say at the right time, and then being caught completely off-guard when something you say is taken out of context and then there are consequences for your own words. I have realized over time that I have the innate ability to get myself into trouble when I open my mouth. Even when things are said without ill-motives, words hurt. It sometimes even makes me think the saying "better to be seen and not heard" has some truth to it.

In the book of James, the tongue is discussed as a member that can stain the entire rest of the body; it has the ability to taint everything. In James 3:8 it says, "But no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison."

Where is the balance between silence and outspokenness? Can you still have a personality without expressing your opinions and being cautious with what comes out of your mouth?

Who knows, all I know is that I need to pray. Desperately.

No comments:

Post a Comment